You, as El Presidente, will first take control of the infamous island of Tropico during early colonial times and then guide it through the centuries as the world changes and moves ever forward. You must tackle the changing needs of your people, as well as opposing governments and factions, and thus lay the foundations for your own dynasty. As you move through your years in office you can promote members of your extended family on the island to positions of power: such as ambassador, commanding general or even Supreme Ruler, to ensure your legacy thrives through the eras. As your influence and wealth grows, so do the threats to your burgeoning island superpower. Can you survive both World Wars, prosper through the Great Depression, rule as an iron-fisted dictator through the Cold War and advance your country to modern times and beyond? From the 19th to the 21st century, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities
- The Eras - Maintain power and reign from the Colonial Period through to Modern Times
- The Dynasty - Utilise the family of El Presidente by placing them in important ruling positions
- Research and Renovate - Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources
- Advanced trade system - Amass a global trade fleet and secure lucrative routes of trade
- Explore your island - Discover resources through exploration, but be wary of native threats
- All new art - All new art design provides Tropico 5 with a unique visual identity
- 4-Player multiplayer -Share resources cooperatively, or declare war on each other in competitive matches.